Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Duty calls again


I consider myself a patriot. I love my country and what our flag stands for. Tonight I will be leaving everyone and everything I love and begin another journey to Afghanistan. It's much more difficult to leave this time now that I have a family and have been out of the fight for a few years, but my situation is no different than the vast majority of the other soldiers who are deployed.

Despite the fact that the news rarely brings it up, we are still actively at war in Afghanistan. Men and women are still taking the fight to the enemy every single day. Once I get my platoon, I will be responsible for kids who were as young as 6 or 7 when 9/11 happened. This is not their war, but yet they still chose the honorable route of joining the Army. I will also have soldiers who are on their 4th or 5th deployment. They've embraced the suck time and time again and been through more misery than any civilian could ever imagine or truly appreciate, yet they'll be there willingly fighting side by side with me one more time.

My point is this: The one thing I do not want to hear about my service(and I hate even calling it that) is sympathy. Sympathy is exactly what I received from the cashier at Best Buy last week when I bought my new camera for deployment and she asked what it was for. When I told her, she made a sad face and said "oh I'm so sorry".

 Instead, do what you can to support your military. You don't have to send care packages or spend lots of money. It can be as easy as doing what your local(and national) news does not do, and simply remind others that America is still at war. Find ways to donate towards groups like the Wounded Warrior Project. Find a spouse whose husband/wife is deployed and take them a meal one night a week. Most of all, pray for those who are deployed overseas and living a life constantly under the threat of mortar attacks, VBIEDs, and suicide bombers. Just think how different your life would be if everyday there was a legitimate chance your home/business/work place could literally be blown up without warning.

All I am asking from anyone who reads this is their prayers. My soldiers and I will need them every day. I'll do what I can to keep this updated while I'm overseas, and if my guys are needing anything important I'll be sure to post it on here.

Thanks in advance to those who still read this despite these past couple years of boredom. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

4 comments:

Drew MacPhee said...

Hey Soldier. Take it easy and stay true. You didn’t do all that training to graduate 2nd in your class and not expect to use it did you? I know it wasn’t for the pay raise.

Stay on the path and journey well.

Andrew in Ontario Canada

PS...If you wonder why I need to leave a comment...my 18 year old son is now enlisted here. I know the places he has yet to go (I’ve been there) and I have always wanted him to travel a like path which coincidently appears to be a path like yours, prepared and willing. My family were not supportive of my choices and I always wished someone would understand. So just wanted to say I would be proud of you if you were my son...and no I don’t feel sorry for you, life is like that some serve so others don’t have to. It’s the choice of living a freedom.

Grim said...

Watch out, and keep your head on a swivel. There's nothing left there worth getting killed over, except the guys you might help come home with you.

Sotamies said...

I happened across your blog through "blackfive", which I frequent on a regular basis. That said, I am a 21 year Army Reserve guy. Never been in harms way in the military. But, did have two unsuccessful attempts at volunteering for service overseas ( the sand box so to speak ) First attempt: I was still in the IRR after having completing my initial 20 yrs and volunteered to go over to Afghanistan with a Civil Affairs unit out of Portland Oregon on Multnomah Blvd. Being a 1SG, I was unable to get a grade waiver to attend the civil affairs course at Ft Bragg. Some time later I tried to enlist as a "newbie". I had already received my second "Honorable Discharge" but was rejected on account of high blood pressure. Which was a joke, on account of the fact that I'd had high blood pressure for quite some time already. At that time, I decided it wasn't meant to be. So, I gave up on the whole idea and moved on. So, I've laid my soul bare. That said, please keep me up to date on your status.
1SG Puukka (USAR Retired)
61 yrs old and still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.
Hooah !!

Six said...

My wife and I will keep you and your soldiers in our prayers. Let us know here if you guys need anything. Kick butt and come home to your lovely bride and wonderful child.